About the Institute:
The International Institute for Qualitative Inquiry is a multidisciplinary institute at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. The center’s primary goals are several-fold:
1. To facilitate the development of qualitative research methods across a wide variety of academic disciplines;
2. To demonstrate the promise of qualitative inquiry as a form of democratic practice, to show how qualitative inquiry can be used to directly engage pressing social issues at the level of local, state, national and global communities;
3. To provide leadership to address the main issues in qualitative inquiry;
4. To promote excellence in qualitative research through education, research and publication in the scholarly journals Qualitative Inquiry, Cultural Studies/Critical Methodologies, and International Review of Qualitative Research ( (the official Congress journal)
5.To provide a forum for collaboration among international experts in the field of qualitative inquiry;
6.To facilitate interdisciplinary graduate education and training in the field of qualitative inquiry;
7.To facilitate interaction in the international community of qualitative inquiry by building relationships with collaborative Sites..
To these ends, the Institute will:
1. Host at least one international conference per year. A workshop series will also be held in conjunction with each annual congress;
2. Facilitate an on-going visiting international scholar lecture series to be held once per semester that is free and open to the campus community;
3. Organize small-group workshops to be led by affiliate campus faculty once per semester that are free and open to the campus community;
4. Implement the Annual Illinois Distinguished Qualitative Dissertation Award;
5. Establish a pre-doctoral research training program in qualitative inquiry;
6. Establish a postdoctoral visiting scholar program in qualitative inquiry;
7. Work with the International Association of Qualitative Inquiry.
8. Publish a quarterly newsletter;
9. Establish collaborative relationships with international sites, programs, associations and institutions.